Tulvey had been working as a warehouse manager for a construction company, and through rehab and the assault charge, his boss agreed to keep him on. But that doesn’t necessarily make them less qualified for a job — or at least, that’s the logic behind a new hiring website called Retrofit Careers, designed specifically for people in recovery. For most of his life when he was in between jobs, Tim Tulvey would toss his resume up on a hiring site like Indeed.com.
There are a few ways to get around gaps due to rehab stays or addiction problems. First, you can simply list on your resume the dates when you were unemployed and note, “Medical Absence” or something similar if you wish. Addiction is a disease, and time spent in recovery is https://en.forexpamm.info/intermittent-explosive-disorder-symptoms-and/ time spent healing from your disease, so it qualifies as a medical leave. There are things that you want to avoid that may jeopardize your current employment. In addition to tardiness, you also want to avoid working long shifts during the day or taking on too many hours.
Benefits of Working During Recovery
One day, he blacked out and threw a glass at the wall, hitting his wife. If you or someone you know is struggling with drugs and alcohol, call RECOVERY now. These professionals help create nutrition plans for clients, which can work to treat vitamin deficiencies and other conditions caused by substance use. Medical directors have years of experience managing health care activities. Their qualifications must address the far-reaching responsibilities of the role.
- Additionally, you want to avoid being involved with a co-worker in a romantic relationship.
- Trying to finding employment in recovery can be a long and frustrating process.
- Counselors work in an industry that cannot meet the rapidly growing needs of Americans with substance use disorders.
- Many organizations like the Legal Action Center work to break down institutional barriers that can make securing employment more difficult for people with a criminal record.
- Even among people without a criminal record, however, personal insecurities and stigma can be challenging to overcome.
You’re finding new parts of yourself every single day and navigating what could be a whole new world for you. Check out this helpful list from DioceseOfJoliet.org, which includes some big name companies like Ace Hardware, Bed, Bath, & Beyond, Buffalo Wild Wings, General Mills, and more. One of the most difficult questions you will face is whether or not to disclose that you are in recovery or ever have been.
Available 24 hours,7 days a week
Although it’s rarely ideal to discuss a personal medical issue with the hiring manager, it’s better to have an open dialogue with employers if the background check will reveal the information. Some addiction treatment and recovery programs offer additional support to people who complete their program and want to find a new job after rehab. In the argument for returning to your previous job, many addiction therapists suggest not making any major changes for a year after you conclude treatment. While many of the changes you experience when getting sober are good changes, these good changes can still be stressful. By limiting the number of major changes in your life so quickly after recovery, you can reduce your stressors and focus on living clean. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average annual wage for substance abuse, behavioral disorder, and mental health counselors was $48,520 in May 2021.
- They don’t hold your past against you, and they look forward to seeing what you can contribute.
- Sponsored by the United States Department of Labor, Career One Stop is a national organization with a variety of valuable resources for job seekers in recovery.
- Updating your resume, preparing for interviews, and returning to work can feel like a lot.
- One of the most important ways you can gain a sense of confidence and self-esteem in your sobriety is through finding and maintaining employment.
It’s important to know what legal protections exist under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) for those who have been in recovery for some time. Part-time or flexible work is also a good option if you are looking to ease back into the workforce after some time in recovery. We do not receive any commission or fee that is dependent upon which treatment provider a caller chooses. According to the Legal Action Center, nearly 75 percent What is a Halfway House? What to Expect in Halfway Housing of formerly incarcerated individuals in the United States are unemployed a year post-release due to stigma related to their criminal record. When Arndt heard about Retrofit, he called to see how he could advertise for open positions at Delta. “So that even if the question’s asked, the answer is, well, this is when I was rehabbing, this is when I was on the street, this is why I got fired from my last job,” Kiker explained.
What to Look for in a Career
We are dedicated to transforming the despair of addiction into a purposeful life of confidence, self-respect and happiness. We want to give recovering addicts the tools to return to the outside world completely substance-free and successful. Disclosing your addiction to a potential employer or new coworkers is a personal decision. However, some people may feel that it’s important to their recovery to be honest about their past. This may be especially true for people applying to work within the field of mental health or substance abuse treatment.
- There are many factors to consider when looking at starting a career following recovery.
- This organization features an online portal where you can take self-assessment surveys on your current skill sets to aid you in identifying the right career path.
- Being open and honest about your recovery with potential employers can help you find a supportive and understanding work environment.
- It can help you feel more comfortable as you navigate the challenges of recovery and help you find a company culture that aligns with your values and goals.
- Use the search function on the organization’s website to find out about programs in your area that might be able to offer assistance.
Graduate degree programs require a relevant bachelor’s degree, minimum GPA, and possibly an entrance exam. Each school has different entry requirements and it’s always best to check with the school’s admissions office. Counselors generally assess clients and work with them and their families to address their addiction and make the necessary changes. Whereas therapists have an in-depth clinical understanding of addiction and can treat a patient individually with a range of behavioral interventions. If you have the option to delay a return to work, consider speaking to a counselor about whether this would be a good choice for you.
Resume Building Tips for People in Recovery
Recovery Career Services offers valuable resources to job seekers in recovery, including coaching and professional development programs. The site also features articles and a YouTube series providing insights into the challenges of reentering the workforce after treatment and advice on overcoming them. Sponsored by the United States Department of Labor, Career One Stop is a national organization with a variety of valuable resources for job seekers in recovery. This organization features an online portal where you can take self-assessment surveys on your current skill sets to aid you in identifying the right career path.
Career One Stop also provides resources in finding job fairs, career coaching services, resume writing help, and job training programs. The first step in the job search process is taking time to self-reflect. If the answer is no, you may want to chart a new career path as you reenter the workforce. It is easy to be overwhelmed when undertaking the process of finding a job, but first things are first–you need to know where to start.